Sunday, October 11, 2009

Dennis Carlson

Gayness, Multicultural Education, and Community

“Selective Tradition” (page, 236)

This quote stood out to me because in all the schools I attended most of them did not talk about gay or lesbians. It was never a discuss topic, growing up you see these types of things on TV but no one really take the time to explain what it really is. I believe that in schools all they try to do is tell the kids that life is full of obstacles, but can not tell them what obstacles they are because there afraid of the effect it might have on kids. That is why the school curriculum is so selective, for example teaching U.S. History and not the world’s history. So when we go o different part of the world we do not know what is going on. I believe the same thing happens when the teacher has to choose weather to introduce the talk about gay and lesbian people. It is very important to see and understand that as future educators we must not glamour life for our kids, but let them know that reality is a way of life and that when you step out to this world its better to know a little bit of everything so that you don’t get chewed up. It’s really hard to say that more teachers will be talking about this topic in the classroom in the next couple of years because we still haven’t even crossed the border letting us talk about Religion. It’s really a hard topic to bring into a classroom especially at such an early age; I would not want my children to be talking about this in school. All things have a time and a place; therefore I believe that it should be up but in its proper setting.

“The dismissal of gay teachers was legitimated as a way of keeping young people from being exposed to improper role model, lechery and child molestations.” (Page, 237)

I picked this quote because it really irritated me since it does not make any type of sense. The person you are outside of your job has nothing to do when you’re at work. We all have a different person when we are doing things that require full responsibility and that involve other peoples lives. I do not understand how they could put people down and fire someone just because they have different taste. They should be looked as role models because they have accomplished and reached successful points in order to be were there at. It is ridiculous to believe that gay and lesbians only think about sex, and that all they want in life is sexual desire. If anything we should be more worried about some men professors molesting kids then worrying about gays and lesbians. This might offend some people but look at it with and open mind. How come we keep priest and fathers at such a value in this life when they have molested more little boys then any gay man or lesbian has? When was the last time you read or heard about a gay man molesting a boy, or a lesbian teacher molesting a girl? I have not heard it or read about it so therefore I stand strong in saying that gay men have my respect like any other man does and a lesbian women is not just a women who can not find a man but a women with self respect that also has the same feelings has me and you.

“Homosexual teachers represent a danger to their students, homosexuality is contagious” (page, 237)
This was another statement that really got under my skin. It really irritated because it’s a real closed minded thought, and for some one to actually believe that makes me wonder were the world has gone too. I happen to know a lot of gay guys, I’m not gay so I’m comfortable being around them because I know that they can’t and won’t change the way I think. They also respect me for who I am so they never bring up a topic that makes me uncomfortable. My best friend is gay and I always knew he was, so when he came out it did not take me by shock I was open about it. I gave him my shoulder to cry on and he was really glad that we remained friend he was scared that he might lose me as a friend, when he told me that I really got to see the amount of hatred that gay and lesbians go through because my best friend had been threw a lot and he had gone out with so many hot girls just for a cover up. I realized the amount of pain and I said to myself I would never discriminate against anybody. He is and will always be a person I admire and respect. He GAY, I’m STRAIGHT we hangout whenever we get a chance! The only contagious thing about gay and lesbian people is the amount of happiness and joy they bring when you’re around them.

1 comment:

  1. Your second quote is a good one. I completely disagree with it, and maybe in a way it could actually help the students. Show them it is actually alright, and not illegal. Although, by doing what they did it makes the kids more intimidated to tell the truth if they are gay.

    ReplyDelete